Electronic Design EngineerApply
- Job Location: Belval, Luxemburg
- Type: Permanent
- Posted: 28/03/2023
You will be an instrumental member of a small team building out a full avionics stack product. This team will focus on the single objective of building a reliable, performing, and mass-optimised flight avionics system for upcoming deep-space smallsats and landers. We operate following a hybrid model that aims to fuse the rapid development and commercial processes of a NewSpace company, while attaining a higher degree of quality assurance in the end product.
You would take the responsibility for design and deployment of a production and qualification testing architecture (including hardware, software and procedures). You would work with the space hardware design teams to improve the testability of their subsystems. This is fundamentally a generalist electronic design role, with recurring testing handed over to another team once set up.
• Strong competences in electronic system, circuit and hardware design
• Comfort with schematic capture, component selection and PCB layouting
• Practical experience building, modifying, and debugging electronic hardware
• An intermediate level of software development skill (embedded and scripting)
• A positive, energetic and self-driven attitude
• Proficient English language skills
Strongly valued skills
• Knowledge of build-for-test design and automated testing principles
• Prior work with test equipment (DMMs, scopes, PSUs etc), particularly with their digital interfaces
• Familiarity with GHz RF, high-power (~2kW), and/or high-speed (e.g. ETH, LVDS) protocols
• Familiarity with relevant spacecraft electronic standards (e.g., ECSS, IPC, ASTM)
• Advanced skills in software development (C++, Java), scripting languages (e.g. Python, Lua, Labview) and/or data management
• Experience with radiation effects and testing approaches (TID & SEE)
• Knowledge about the space environment, hardware product assurance techniques and the motivations and purpose of the qualification and acceptance test processes
• Ability to create and maintain procedures for an MAIT team to follow
• Prior usage of Altium or similar ECAD tools
You could be a strong candidate even if you don’t meet/have several of these skills!
• Conceive of, design, and deploy a general testing architecture to test and verify the full range of avionics subsystems being developed (power control, communications and computer modules)
• Implement an automated testing setup in hardware and software within that architecture to support all of the development, qualification and acceptance test campaigns
• In conjunction with the subsystem design teams, contribute to design of flight modules to improve their testability
• Assist in preparing and executing developmental test campaigns on components, prototypes and qualification models, including coordination of our radiation test campaigns
• Setup manufacturing and acceptance test processes and procedures for the recurring test team to use on flight models.
• Manage and maintain the data captured during tests run
For avoidance of doubt, this is not an engineering test role and you will not usually execute recurring testing.
What we can offer in return
We offer you the chance to participate in the development a completely new type of modular flight avionics system that will enable a new class of deep-space missions. An opportunity to be a key part of exciting missions to the Moon - and beyond - launching in the near future. You would take on an important role in a new, revenue-generating company, with a mandate to focus on technical design and implementation on an aggressive development schedule featuring rapid hardware iterations. You would be working closely with experts in other avionics domains and contributing to their designs, giving the chance to learn about other spacecraft subsystems. The role has a large degree of engineering freedom, with minimized technical constraints, building a fresh test architecture from the ground up. The position is in Luxembourg, a beautiful, cosmopolitan and welcoming country at the heart of Europe
Belval Luxembourg, with occasional travel needed. Flexible working environment.
Full-time Luxembourg CDI.
We would usually expect candidates to have 3-5 years’ experience in relevant fields. The role is open to candidates of any age, gender, orientation, that have or can get work authorization within the EU. We encourage applications from people even if they do not have all the desired skills listed!
Capital International Staffing Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.